February 7, 2012

Wordified: Afflatus

Inspiration might just be one of my favorite topics. I love finding new things/people/places to be inspired by, and I think it can be equally exciting to see what inspires others. Being an inspiring person is a lifelong focus and goal. I want to be inspiring to my husband, my family, my friends, my co-workers, and to the whole generation coming up behind me. I don't mean that in a self-righteous way, I mean it in a...uh...cheerleader sort of way? [I can do it, you can do it, let's all do it!]

Often times [such as now times] I get the daunting feeling inspiration has decided to hibernate, or chosen to remain in fairytales long ago and far away. Motivation has been sparse these days, which contributes largely to the lack of inspiration. My greatest shortage is when the alarm goes off and it's still completely dark outside. I usually decide that motivation will come after I get another 20-30 minutes of sleep. It never does come, and with groaning I drag myself to the shower. [For the record no amount of coffee seems to help either.]

So I've been asking myself if motivation is necessary to find inspiration. What about the kind that suddenly appears on the scene of my mind as a light bulb, buzzing with greatness and glory? When does that part of the story happen?

To kick myself into productive/creative thinking gear, I have a little word definition for you.
 ---
Afflatus
noun \ə-ˈflā-təs, a-\
  Divine imparting of knowledge or power : inspiration 
Origin of AFFLATUS- Latin, act of blowing or breathing on, from afflare to blow on
 ---
Afflatus just may be,
Greatest gift the Spirit e'er gave to me.
Powerful whisper of grace,
When my eyes are put upon His Face,
Igniting my heart to know,
And of this knowing sow.
Hands working on trite paper,
Til His Spirit no longer a vapor,
But a power that does live,
Beckoning of my whole life to give.
 ---

No comments:

Post a Comment