February 19, 2011

Purpose of Invention; I Have to Believe in Redemption.

A few weeks back I watched The Social Network with my husband. While he was very into it, I couldn't help but be disturbed at the unsavory beginnings of something I have a serious addiction with. You see, my intentions have been mostly pure (I have gloated once or twice at my fortunate and blessed life, but we all do that through some medium, right?)

So this got me to thinking, what other inventions have been battled over only to stray grossly from their creator's bona fide genius. We all know what Albert Einstein said, “Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration.”
Thus I started on a path of "looking into the original intent of everyday objects". 

Johann Gutenberg was inspired by a mid-800s Chinese method of printing with wood blocks and he decided to make a printing press with small letters that he could arrange and rearrange to mass produce books at a price the common people could afford and thus have a chance at education. The first thing to ever come “hot off the press,” the Gutenberg Bible.


I have done some research on other items, but my eyes and attention can only endure limited fact hunting. It brings me to this, who knows an interesting story of how an "everyday object" was invented? It could have been accidental, evil, or with all the good intentions in the world. AND, where is it today?
If anyone cares to submit an entertaining story, I will be obliged to reward it with a "carrie creation." If for some reason there is an overwhelming amount of input, I'll pick a winner and runner up.

I just want to know if there truly have been ideas that evolved into something greater than the designer had ever imagined.
Because I have a few ideas, and I wouldn't mind if that happened.






No comments:

Post a Comment