March 5, 2011

1--2--3--JUMP!

Today I did something I would have never guessed myself bold and confident enough for. I plunged myself into the waters of music, joining my husband and two friends in their new project. I feel completely ridiculous surrounded by three amazing musicians, trying to memorize inverted chords and harmonies, but their encouragement and faith in me is incredible. 
It got me to thinking about how blessed I am to have such people in my life. I wrote this bit of prose for my husband shortly after we were engaged, and thought it was suiting for today. Here 'tis:

I’ve been most afraid of standing on the edge and reaching my hands out into the unknown.  Of feeling the air, so thin, certainly unable to hold me in peace.  One unsteady step, and the wind would be rushing past, caught up in the fall, knowing my own failures to be the cause.  But today, my body can’t help following your smile. So 1---2---3! Catch me if you can! Now my heart has slipped right out my sleeve, no longer tucked safely inside.  It’s only right you unlocked the door to my leap.  When you took off my winter coat, you wrapped me up in your love.  There was no ignorance, only bliss, and my hesitancy was met with faith.  Hope sprang up in my soul when your kiss graced my life.  I knew this was safe to trust.  So let your embrace bring me to a heap on the floor and your whispered words build me into a tower of beauty.  All we were meant to be surely is peaking over the horizon of our love.  Sandpaper scratched against my will, but giving in never felt so sweet.  Ring around my finger, and a pocket full of joy that pours out onto these sorrowful streets.  Somehow certainty made me full, yet adventure has left me dreaming of more.  How can we turn our backs on a good thing? I could never turn my back on such blessing. From this day, until forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment