March 23, 2011

The 90s Are Back

This isn't what you think,
I am not giving a runway collage of the stirrup pants and side ponytails with their giant scrunchies as they obnoxiously creep, or rather storm their way back into society.
I'll leave to the professionals.
What this is about, is my childhood. 
My golden years of simplicity and discovery were in the 1990s, so I am using them as a rough timeframe, and not as an actual reference to the culture of that decade.

I don't think many people can say this, but the 90s treated me well.

In looking back at who we were as a child, we can often see who it is we shall become as adults. The dreams and emotions of children have the incredible ability to hold on through whatever storms life brings, it’s just a matter of allowing things to settle down so they can come out and shine.

This picture I love for so many reasons. Most of them are clearly evident. Check out that mullet and sweatsuit! Golden! The other reason is that I am standing beside my older brother who received both the guitar and microphone for his birthday. Pretty nice of him to let me share the spotlight, I think. 
My brother Jesse is definitely the "I look up to you" sort of older brother. He is married to an amazing wife, and they have two ADORABLE kids! Besides that they have been some of the most encouraging people in my life. They are pursuing the Lord with such steadfast faith that I am stirred and  convicted to do likewise.
The other thing I really appreciate about this picture, and the reason I am including it in this post, is because I am a rockstar. Indeed,
I AM TEARING IT UP ON VOCALS.
And where do I find myself today? Alongside three amazing musicians,
learning to let the seams of trust and confidence open up.
here's the link to our band's site
http://www.cathedralpearls.com/

This other picture is a collection of some poems I stumbled on when I was packing to move out of my parents house. I wrote these, at approximately age 10. My Grandparents had this fantastic typewriter in a spare room that I would clatter away on making up stories and poems. Of course this would be followed by decorating them with the appropriate stickers I found in an old desk. Those memories are all very clear, and very happy. Looking back I see several qualities that were instilled in me during those times.

{A love for typewriters.}
Theirs wasn't too ancient but it had the most satisfying click-click-click as you typed.
{Desks with little drop down tables and lots of cubbys.}
See all those little slots, that's where I would arrange all of my blank paper, works-in-progress, completed-works, and stickers. I think that was also an early sign of my deep love of organization.
I think this one is fantastic, but my Grandparents' was much simpler. Someday, when Max and I have a much bigger living space, a desk like this will be on the top of my list to purchase.

And the most important quality,
{a love for writing.}
There are very few things that I enjoy more, and give me that "inner exhilaration, the surge of spiritual energy, the utter delight in your soul" (Bonte Rue: Dreams...)
I have said it before, and I will say it again,
 "Art is merely the expression of self"
And in writing, all deep contents of my heart are freely poured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment