March 8, 2011

A Hope Both Sure and Steadfast

My husband and I currently find ourselves in a frustrating predicament. I have a daytime job in an office, and he works nights at a restaurant. So our time together = 1-2 hours after I come home, before he leaves. We've rearranged some things on our schedule to fit more time together, but still the weeks can leave us sad and lonely. 

But enough with the drudgery. Last night we had a great conversation. People seem to really enjoy telling us "it's only for a season," but the fact that this season has no clear end in sight, really doesn't help us. So we talked about where we want to be and how we want to get there, don't worry this might get interesting soon... The talk was good and I fell asleep incredibly happy and blessed just to know that I was going to spend the rest of my life with my best friend. And I had this dream- We were on a mini-vacation in Washington DC, just seeing the sights and enjoying the history. In my non-dream, real life I spent a little over two months in our nation's capital, so this dream was literally (note that I am using this word correctly) a stroll down memory lane. I was showing my husband all my favorite spots and telling him about things we should do. As we were walking to the Supreme Court, I was so excited to see tulips had been positioned and situated in the most fantastic rows of color and shape. (If you have ever been to Washington DC, you know they have incredible gardeners.) I was ecstatic about their beauty and brightness. Then I woke up. Yet all day I have had thoughts of tulips in my head. The actual meaning of tulips is nice enough, but for me it was the peaceful assurance, a sign that seasons change, and that even brighter and more beautiful things lie ahead. A perfect reminder of, "this hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast".

These days, I don't get to have many exciting travels with my husband, but I know just like those bulbs that will spring up soon, the dreams and expectations in my heart can't be weighed down by present circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment