April 25, 2011

For the Modern Wife

Surely I can't be the only one.

We just had our 6 month anniversary (which is crazy), and I feel that I've already learned so much about what it is to be a wife, and it is a LOT different than I expected.
It has gotten me to thinking back at the various roles that have been asked of women, wives especially, and comparing them with the array of to-dos for the modern wife.

For the greater part of history there have been two main roles for wives- mother and housekeeper. Considering the state of their technology, that was no easy task.
 
When the second world war came, life for women took a huge leap. They were taking on all kinds of roles. The world was in shock and terror.

But these days, I think things have gotten a bit out of hand. The expectations we put on ourselves is off the charts and quite ridiculous.

Let me first say that marriage is wonderful. I wouldn't trade it for anything. But it was quite a surprise to learn that it's less of the fairytale dream world I had expected, and a lot more like learning and growing with my best friend, with a lot of laughter and love mixed in (hallelujah).

So right about now I'll come back around with what I am getting at.

In this "Modern Age" we are bombarded with images and ideas of who we ought to be. We all acknowledge this. At the ripe age of 23 I was sure I was over the "pressure" and quite comfortable being who I was. 
And then, BAM! I was hit with the "Call of Duty": 
Do absolutely everything you can to be A Good Wife. Anyone feeling me on this?

You know in cartoons when people have an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other? They go back and forth telling them what they ought to do, and then the head starts spinning and there's a lot of yelling? Yeah, I do that every once in a while. But it's not just an angel and a devil, it's couple dozen voices telling me that I need to get on it, and get going on a couple dozen things, RIGHT NOW!

wash the dishes, grocery shopping, switch the laundry, clean the bathroom, make the bed, fix dinner, dust, sweep and mop floors

These are what I like to refer to as "the usuals"
And here's the added load for the "modern wife" (it really is blissful)

career; get in shape; never settle with simple cooking; buy organic and local food; re-decorate your house with the newest diy projects; girls night out; date night; volunteer; family time; bake; write a blog; plant a garden; weed and water the garden; be informed and ready to debate the hottest news topics; re-vamp the wardrobe with the season's must-haves; fashion shoot of the new amazing outfits; new iphone; STARBUCKS; paint the nails; cut and color the hair; vacay ; tan; sushi; music; movies

Okay, it's getting ugly.
And I didn't even put kids in the equation.
But I'll stop.

So here's the swap I've been making (thank you Max for all your patience):
Throw all the worries out the door, 
Resist hiding under the blankets, 
And think on these things-

 38 Now as they went on their way, he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at the Lord's feet, and heard his word. 40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving; and she came up to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister did leave me to serve alone? Bid her therefore that she help me. 41 But the Lord answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art anxious and troubled about many things: 42 but one thing is needful: for Mary hath chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.


22 Then He said to His disciples, “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; nor about the body, what you will put on. 23 Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. 24 Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds? 25 And which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? 26 If you then are not able to do the least, why are you anxious for the rest? 27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 28 If then God so clothes the grass, which today is in the field and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith? 29 “And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. 30 For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. 31 But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you. 32 “Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell what you have and give alms; provide yourselves money bags which do not grow old, a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches nor moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I really like this too.
http://jonesdesigncompany.com/shop/art-prints/

3 comments:

  1. So...what about the "modern husband"?
    shouldn't he be helping??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he is really great and helps out a lot. It's all the things in my head that I think I need to do and in reality, do not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Carrie :) You are such a great writer. thoroughly enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete