September 27, 2011

Wordified: Xenophile

Here's to my first "weekly post"!
I've realized it's a lot more difficult than I thought to let go of a poem so quickly.  Usually I start writing one, ponder on it for a while, and edit it a jillion times before showing anyone.  So please excuse any appearance of spitting forth.  This will definitely prove a good exercise for me.  I hope you all might find some small amount of amusement in it!


xe·no·phile 
noun  \ˈze-nə-ˌfī(-ə)l, ˈzē-\  
one attracted to foreign things (as styles or people)
  (the word sounds weird for such a normal definition, right?)

XENOPHILE
Bring me across shimmering seas,
Take me to a land unknown.
I've nothing in order,
But everything ready.

There are broken streets, rusty doors.
They're like no others I've seen at home,
They're far away, abroad,
Singing of adventures to unfold.

There are faces and foods, entirely new.
Yet the same glorious sun and moon,
Will watch over me, guide me.
To find in others, just who I am.

 It fills my heart with the greatest joy,
My soul with subliminal peace,
To know there's a whole world waiting,
For this anxious xenophile to make her own.

(Pictures from my most beloved city- Herrnhut, Germany)


No comments:

Post a Comment