November 30, 2011

Writing Class Update

Let me paint a picture for you, quite different from reality, but somewhat symbolic of my current reality.

I slave and slave on a collection. Three months of nonstop work go in, and ten outfits come out. My editing has been ruthless, cold, and compassionless. Presenting to the judges my heart and soul, my stomach turns and churns. Apprehension and doubt are my closest friends. Down the runway my looks come, and from across the runway, the judges looks I search. What's done is done, and now the time has arrived for my deeds to be accounted for, the verdict to be made. Words of praise and enjoyment are tossed from one to another, yet from Fraulein Klum, comes my death sentence, "It's much too long and drab. Take eight inches off the bottom and drop the neckline five. Then I suppose I might wear it."
---
Okay, that was VERY dramatic. But that was my writing class in a nutshell. My mentor is not 1/100th as cruel or freaky and Heidi Klum. And I don't fear criticism too much. But there has been so much cutting, I feel my very personality has been removed. [I think I'm getting a bit dramatic again]. What I have learned is this, I love embellishing. I love putting in extra words. The problem is, when an editor sees those, they don't find them charming or unique, they are, dun-dun-dunnnnn...CLUTTER. Being one who hates clutter, I have set myself to view these "little things" as just that and snip snip away.

 On the other side of things, I have gotten a lot of good feedback from my mentor. After my last lesson she told me, "I wish I had more students like you!" I don't really know what that means. But it's good I guess. I've learned a lot of other really valuable things about professionalism, submission, and basic formatting. I'm working on a lesson, and then I have one more, and then it's finito! And then will come the hard part- figuring out how and where to put things into practice. Coffee and this guy will be sure to help me.




No comments:

Post a Comment