December 14, 2011

Christmas, Marriage, Materialism

Christmas is fast approaching and I feel so anxious for it. It's embarassing really, but Max has been plotting my presents and I'm just dying to know what they are. And I'm really nervous to give him his. A couple I know he'll like. Another couple, I'm not so sure about. I've just a got a few more to buy and then wrapping. I love both of those things. I think I could start a gift wrapping business and be so happy. Making things beautiful and personal are some of my favorite things.

I've been reading a bunch of different news articles lately. Not something I normally do, but I'm looking for some different examples for my writing class and also comparing what I'm learning to what is being published. Investigating, finding evidence to prove my teachings right or wrong.
I found this article today about the percentage of married couples in America being at an all-time low and wanted to share a bit from it. There's really nothing new in what the writer is saying, but it struck a chord in me. Here's what really stuck out to me-
 I can't help but wonder what this steady decline in marriage means for society at large -- and the future of the family unit. Are technology, equal rights, education -- all the amazing things we're so privileged to enjoy in the modern world -- changing the face of relationships and family? What will society look like 50 years from now?
[Where Have All the Married People Gone? by Holly at TheNest]

After reading that I wanted to grab Max and all my family and run away to the hills. Scary to think that so many of us let high ideals and precious objects dominate the foreground of our lives. Max and I frequently talk about the balance between enjoying nice things and being dependent on them. I would love to discover some miraculous breakthrough concepts on this issue and write a book to save western civilization from self-inflicted and utter debasement. [Fear not, if I did discover this I would make it as breif as possible. I absolutely loathe books that present an idea in the first ten pages and then spend a hundred more saying the same thing in different words. yuk] Alas! I have nothing to offer but encouragement for contentment. And excitement for Christmas...because I love...presents...oh dear.

So many thoughts to ponder...
but I've got a Christmas party to attend!

Ciao!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment