December 12, 2011

Wordified: Zeitgeist

It's probably been over a month since I've done one of these, but I saw this word and knew I had to use it. I'm pretty geeky and frequently go to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary to look through their most popular searches and daily word definitions. This one is from yesterday, and it is so timely. At our church we've been talking a lot about stepping into "a new era". This was the perfect opportunity for me to think on what "a new era" means to me and to express that with creative language. I hope you are encouraged by it.
---
zeitgeist
\TSYTE-gyste\
the general intellectual, moral, and cultural climate of an era
---
Through a crack in this wall, a light breaks forth
Breathing a new era
Establishing a new zeigeist
 
Prayers shift from wish lists to petitions made before the highest court
Cries of the innocent are answered by justice and mercy
Worship and adoration birth colors and sounds

Truth is sovereign
Righteousness the standard
Bride victorious
---

It's hard for my mind to comprehend and put into words something that my heart knows is so huge. This is a work in progress, to be sure. And that's something I really love about writing and the Lord. They are both okay with the learning process.

I think zeitgeist will have to be a theme for future writings. Culture is a pretty big deal.  People can claim to be independent thinkers, but the "cultural climate" around us defines a lot. It shapes our worldview, which in turn sets the path for our future. I love dreaming of a new culture for my children and grandchildren, imagining the depths and widths of God's goodness being manifested on the earth. I become one of those who "smile at the future".


No comments:

Post a Comment