May 27, 2011

Another Detour

Please excuse this detour from tales of Portland, but I had to share my current thoughts...


I saw this quote and just can't get away from it. It's the last line that prompted some serious thought.

I won't play coy here, I can feel pretty ridiculous myself.
Frequently. 

I have a terrible [terrible] habit of comparing.
Every time I do, it's a swift jab to the spirit; The things I want and believe are not normal.
At all.
To most they are foolish, naive, and you know that one word... [ridiculous]

The quote is by Marilyn Monroe, who is by no means a hero of mine. In fact, a lot of things she represents I would strongly stand against. But here's yet another chance to keep that baby and throw out the dirty water.

So here are my musings:

In The Case Of
Absolutely Ridiculous
Vs.
Absolutely Boring

One seeks high and low to find life, and the fullness thereof;
While the other submits itself to a flat line perspective.

One invests passion, soul, and energy;
While the other holds back every asset in fear of being emptied.

One accepts challenge with grace and wit;
While the other falters at even the quietest doubt.


The case is made.
The research and testimonies prove it all.
Now we are the judge and the jury;

Harriet Beech
How truly ridiculous is it 
William Wilberforce
To 
Harriet Tubman
Be 
Truly  
Ridiculous


Martin Luther King, Jr.


1 comment:

  1. this is great. i'm glad you and i both married ridiculous men. i don't know about you, but i more naturally choose the practical boring path. thank God I have caleb in my life to keep me from thinking so much and ruining everything fun.

    ReplyDelete