June 15, 2012

The Need for Awe

I just finished reading a book called Blue Like Jazz. Perhaps you've read it. I feel like any Christian who's slightly artistic has read or been told to read it. It was my first time reading the book and I fell in love with it. I love how natural and honest he is. His openness is like a clear, still lake that allows us to see the deep things that have shaped him, and as we look allows us to be changed.

The last chapter is about Jesus and falling in love with Him. It's really good. I thought I'd share my thinkings. First, his thoughts.

"I know our culture will sometimes understand a love for Jesus as weakness. There is this lie floating around that says I am supposed to be able to do life alone, without any help, without stopping to worship something bigger than myself. But I actually believe there is something bigger than me. I need someone to put awe inside of me; I need to come second to someone who has everything figured out."
---
I need those things too. Letting go of the control panel is so much easier when I see who is asking. When I really need a reminder of who that is I read Job 38-42. King David is known for expressing beautiful poetry of who the Lord is and trusting Him, but Job brings a depth and humanity that I love. It's not just the hipster in me that is attracted to the book that a lot of people disregard. It's got really good stuff.

Here's a few of my favorites that I will leave with you on this beautiful morning-

Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements? Surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it?  To what were its foundations fastened? Or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? Or who shut in the sea with doors, when it burst forth and issued from the womb; When I made the clouds its garment, and thick darkness its swaddling band; when I fixed My limit for it, and set bars and doors; When I said, ‘This far you may come, but no farther, and here your proud waves must stop!’

Have you commanded the morning since your days began, and caused the dawn to know its place, that it might take hold of the ends of the earth, and the wicked be shaken out of it?
 
Have you entered the springs of the sea? Or have you walked in search of the depths? Have the gates of death been revealed to you? Or have you seen the doors of the shadow of death? Have you comprehended the breadth of the earth? Tell Me, if you know all this.

I know that You can do everything, and that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You.


No comments:

Post a Comment