July 24, 2012

Some Proverbial Goodness For the 24th

As today is the 24th, I thought I would give Proverbs 24 a little read to see what golden nuggets it had for me. I don’t know why I was surprised when I found quite a few challenging bits. But I’ll start with the more encouraging ones.

Through wisdom a house is built,
And by understanding it is established;
By knowledge the rooms are filled
With all precious and pleasant riches.

I love that we don’t just build and fill as we please, but that God can give us wisdom and understanding in all the details. Throughout the Old Testament He tells His people exact measurements and elements as they build various structures. I can get overwhelmed with details so it does my heart good to know God is more aware [and able to take care] of them than me.

Deliver those who are drawn toward death,
And hold back those stumbling to the slaughter.
If you say, “Surely we did not know this,”
Does not He who weighs the hearts consider it?
He who keeps your soul, does He not know it?
And will He not render to each man according to his deeds?

There are a lot of interpretations we can have for those “drawn toward death.” Like many scriptures, we are able to take them as straight-forward or as deep-down as we choose. I think of people convinced of their self-sufficiency [one of the scariest to me], those with no hope or joy in their life, and I think about the people intentionally walking [or running] toward death. I feel so inept at helping any one of those people. My natural tendency is to turn and walk the other way as if I never saw them. It’s so uncomfortable to extend a hand, and we often get hurt ourselves. But the Lord isn’t alright with feigned ignorance. He keeps my soul, and He keeps theirs. Faith and action must meet, no  matter how uncomfortable. And this is where I need His grace to guide me.

Hmmm… gaining wisdom isn't for the faint of heart. 
Good thing I've got this good lookin' guy to help me out.




No comments:

Post a Comment