August 22, 2011

Dry Well


I saw this cement slab at the park last week. Walking past it on our way into the tennis courts I found it interesting and as we played, I mulled it over in my mind.  Dry Well. The words stung me.

They reminded me of the two brothers from A Christmas Carol.  If you've ever seen the muppet version [which is the best in my opinion], it's those hilarious old guys.  Death met them with the cold revelation of how selfishly they had lived, it haunted and tormented them to the point that they came to warn Scrooge of the soon-coming reward of his greed.  They were a couple of dry wells.  Giving nothing.  Just taking up space.

The picture also reminds me of a country song.  I know very few country songs, and the ones I do know, I know only because they are ridiculous.  The words are as follows:

I wanna talk about me
Wanna talk about I
Wanna talk about number one
Oh my me my
What I think, what I like, what I know, what I want, what I see
I like talking about you you you you, usually, but occasionally
I wanna talk about meeeeee
I wanna talk about me

This is one of my greatest fears; To come to the end of my life and realize that with all of my gifts and talents, all of the love and blessings I was given, I gave nothing back.  I was a dry well.  Too focused on myself and what I wanted to acheive, blinded from seeing the greatness of being a blessing to others.
Instead I want this:
 
Now the LORD had said to Abram: "Get out of your country, from your family and from your father's house, to a land that I will show you.  I will make you a great nation; I will bless you and make your name great; And you shall be a blessing.  I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed."

I love that verse.  That would be from the "Amen, I receive it!" genre.  The only issue I have run into is that in order for this verse to happen, a great deal of work is required of me.  I have never dug a well [duh], or seen a well dug, but I've heard stories.  In order to get those gusher, overflowing kind there is usually a significant investment of time and energy.  And in this case [involving the spirit], I believe it is a never ending, pressing deeper, going further battle.  But I know there are many rewards, and the rewards are sweet indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment