May 9, 2012

San Dee-Aye-Go-Go

Well, one week later I am finally posting about our trip to San Diego. It was wonderful. The weather wasn't as sunshiny as I had hoped, but we managed to still really enjoy ourselves. After almost 4 years I flew on a plane again. The flights were both pretty short, which was nice. I had forgotten how excellent airports are for people watching. And language listening. I miss regularly hearing different languages.

It took a few bus rides (and me getting frustrated) to get to our hotel, but I am so excited to say that my husband is an excellent travel companion. I wasn't sure how he would deal with confusing maps, smelly&strange people, and waiting for buses, but he was the best. It comforted my soul greatly to know that he is very capable of figuring out nonsensical transportation systems. Not to mention his calmness and sense of humor in it all. It made me feel very safe and loved. sigh...

After grabbing a bite to eat, we took a walk along the bay enjoying the new sites and smells. I could feel my travel-love-tank filling by the minute. After being up at 4am, we were exhausted. So we went back to the hotel and watched a movie, which resulted in a 3 hour nap. I forgot how tiring it is to travel.

Day one we had a big BIG breakfast to get the energy we needed for the zoo. While waiting for our bus we took a little looksie at the ocean, and I fell in love with it all over again. The soft sand, the salty air, the soothing sound of waves crashing on the shore. Ahhh...I daydream of it frequently.

The zoo was uh-mazing. I felt like a little kid. It was wonderful. More details on that below.

I could go on and on about the next few days, but basically it was a lot of good food, some shopping,  encounters with weird people, and lots of walking. My body hasn't been that sore in a long time. But my heart was so happy it was worth it.

And now for some pictures!

Gotta love 6 o'clock flights.



Travelin' times!

Evening stroll on the boardwalk, enjoying the new plants and the smells that accompany them.

Starting the day off right.

I love big delicious breakfasts.

My heart feels at home by the ocean.


One of my favorite parts of the zoo was taking a gondola over it.
We walked (with no breaks) for 5 hours without seeing everything,
 and in 5 minutes we got a bird's eye view (I'm so funny right?) of it all.

I really loved the camels.
Have you ever seen the Claymation Christmas movie with the camels singing in We Three Kings?
I think that's why I like Camels.

Fabulous French food and coffee. 
There was gelato too, but we were too busy eating it to take any pictures.

Our last day concluded with dipping our feet in the freezing cold ocean, a nice barefoot stroll on the warm sand, and buying my dear husband's first-ever flip-flops. He was pretty cute trying to figure out how to walk in them. Tricky stuff.

On our way to the airport we had to pick up a little treat to get us through the many bus rides.

Being home has also been wonderful (other than the terrible smell in our kitchen and the fact that we cannot figure out what went bad when we were gone).

There are some baby updates too, but I'll save that for another post.

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. love this post! traveling is the best! i'm glad you like it as much as i.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh so fun cair! don't know how i missed this post. i love traveling and am dying to go somewhere myself. good thing i am in a week!

    ReplyDelete