January 2, 2012

revelation on the 73rd

As I was reading the Psalms this morning a section of verses jumped out and pierced my heart. I love when that happens. The biggest struggle for me when reading the Word is just reading. I'm not into reading as a duty. I'm into discovering, being confronted with my human nature, and being changed. I believe the Bible is a divine book, so why should we have such ordinary encounters with it?

Back to the Psalms, here are a few excerpts from chapter 73 that I have been mulling over-
1 Truly God is good to Israel,
         To such as are pure in heart.
 2 But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled;
         My steps had nearly slipped.
 3 For I
was envious of the boastful,
         When I saw the prosperity of the wicked.       
 4 For
there are no pangs in their death,
         But their strength
is firm.
 5 They
are not in trouble as other men,
         Nor are they plagued like
other men.
 6 Therefore pride serves as their necklace;
         Violence covers them
like a garment.
 7 Their eyes bulge with abundance;
         They have more than heart could wish.
 8 They scoff and speak wickedly
concerning oppression;
         They speak loftily.
 9 They set their mouth against the heavens,
         And their tongue walks through the earth. 
---
16 When I thought how to understand this,
         It
was too painful for me—
 17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God;
         
Then I understood their end. 
--- 
 21 Thus my heart was grieved,
         And I was vexed in my mind.
 22 I
was so foolish and ignorant;
         I was
like a beast before You.
 23 Nevertheless I
am continually with You;
         You hold
me by my right hand.
 24 You will guide me with Your counsel,
         And afterward receive me
to glory.
         25 Whom have I in heaven
but You?
         And
there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.
 26 My flesh and my heart fail;
         
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
 ---

That was a good chunk of scripture. 
Now please allow me to share a little background and my thoughts.

Working in an office that does payroll, I can get loathsome when I see clients getting $50,000 bonuses every other week. And working at Rockwood Bakery it was hard to see women come in with a brand new Burberry purse every other week. But the hardest for me is that everyday we encounter those who speak mockery at God and at His Kingdom. Unfortunately my response is usually frustration, envy, and comparison- a lot of heart/foot slipping. I don't believe these people to be violent, without hardships, and having eyes that bulge [disturbing visual image], but I do have that spite David is talking about. I think about all the travels I would like to have but can't currently afford. Friends that are sacrificing so much to sow their lives into the nations. Orphans and widows that can't afford the most basic necessities. There's spite and frustration, and there's also some heart-breaking.

Let's get to the revelation part- entering God's sanctuary and getting the greater glimpse, seeing how short-sighted I am, how temporal and vain. Everything else dulls and the beauty of knowing Christ becomes the greatest reward. And verse 25 is just wonderful. I would love to find a cool typography of it.

Those are my thoughts for today. 
I find them to be a rather good starting point for 2012.
I hope you are filled with thoughts that both challenge and strengthen your heart today.


C.



No comments:

Post a Comment