October 11, 2011

Wordified: Sustain


 

My word this week is neither strange, nor long, nor new, but when I saw it, I knew it was the one.  I've had a strange last couple of days, unexplainable feelings heaviness and fog.  There has been a surplus of rain and gray skies, but I can't blame the weather for my heart's inability to pick itself up.  You can see why this word is important to me today.

sustain
\suh-STAYN\ verb
1: to supply with sustenance : nourish
2: to keep going
3: to buoy up
4: to suffer or undergo
5: to support or prove

Prodding my mind, the iron staff of questions unanswered
Unable to find a flickering coal from the damp floor of discouragement
Sputtered coughs of ashes inhaled, trust blown out under the door
Billows frosty, unfeeling to steal my very soul
Though heaviness decays, there's an offer for exchange
Here lay ev'ry burden aside to grasp for hope and light
It's peace that does sustain, while fear is laid to rest
Chairs drawn ever near to tell of tales to be
Faith creating futures, full of life and zeal



Is anyone else moved by honesty?  For me, hearing someones' struggles and victories, whether small or big, can be more impacting than a fancy or high-tech message.  I really wish there was more straightforwardness and transparency from believers.  Unfortunately a lot of the honesty that I have found is lacking in what deserves the most commentary- the goodness and faithfulness of the Lord. In my own life I know that needs to be a greater focus. It is my hope that what openness I do share encourages you.

No comments:

Post a Comment