June 2, 2011

A Coffee Experience


Okay, time to rant and rave.
I have to first give a little bit of a confessional,
As much as I wish I was a coffee purist, I don't usually prefer black coffee and I occasionally have flavor in my americanos. Despicable, right?
That said, I will now act as if I know way more about coffee than I actually do.
[but isn't everyone else doing that too?]
And Portland is thee place to do just that!
I was really excited about going to some different coffee shops, and thus made it a point to enjoy my afternoon cup of liquid gold at a new place each day.

First was Sterling.
Pretty fun little walk up coffee place, the barista was lively and wearing a bow tie [scoring big points with Max & I], flower shop right next door, and a cute little european-esque sidewalk seating area.
8oz. double americano- tasted a bit light and acidic.
Not my favorite style of roast, unique, but not my favorite.

Next, Fresh Pot
Connected to Powells, I've always loved their vibe and pleasing aroma of books and coffee.
And they serve Stumptown, without the snobbery.
 Great little 8oz. double latte.
Foam was perfect and the shots were even and rich.

Now my definite favorite was Coava
I walked in and was immediately impressed feel of the building
[they share the space with a bamboo company...points!].
The pictures on their website capture it pretty well.




Again, a lively barista who was happy to explain their process of pour-over coffee, called Kone.
Here's a little video they have about it.


The coffee tasted so smooth and pure, I think it'd be a sin to have cream or sugar.

I've had this thing for a while about roast descriptions. The words always sound nice on the packaging, but I rarely taste them. You can blame my naive, untrained tastebud if you'd like, but I just can't taste the "nutty hints" or "berry notes".
Not until this coffee.
I could taste a host of delightful flavors.

I love LOVE having people over and what a perfect little "ceremony" the kone would be! I mean how impressive is that crazy looking kettle and glass pitcher. There's a page on their site about how to do the whole process at your home and what you need. I've concluded it would be about $500 for the kit and kaboodle, which is more than I currently am capable of paying. 
I suppose I could simplify it and find cheaper parts if I hunt around online, but I really want the legit stuff.

Until then, my sister and her husband had one of these little guys.
Much cheaper and still provides a fun, new [although slightly less impressive] experience.
I shall soon own one of these.
The Clever Coffee Dripper
more info here

No comments:

Post a Comment