June 29, 2011

Creativized or Remixed?

Let me preface with this, I am not a YouTube fan.
I just can't do the whole random videos for hours thing. If I'm not impressed in the first 30 seconds, I usually leave. Perhaps that sounds heartless, but do I really value the twentieth version of Charlie Bit My Finger or another Julian Smith freak attack over having a one-on-one conversation? [Could I sound anymore female stereotypical?]
So as Max was going to show me this video yesterday I started to get up off the couch. But it was on Vimeo, and I decided I'd give it a chance. Then I saw it was ten minutes and again started to leave. But I'm a sucker for thoughts and reflections on creativity, so of course I gave in.

I think it's pretty awesome. There are two parts before this one, but they are independant of each other and I like this one the best.


I am also a sucker for remixes; making good things better [especially when it comes to food!].
 I feel that it isn't necessarily about whether an idea is completely original or not, but if it posesses a fresh quality.
For example, me reposting this video. I didn't think of it, create it,or do any of the work, but I would like to make these additions. Whether they have value or not is for you to judge.

So what I was going to say was...
 Solomon had it right on the nose!

All things are full of labor; Man cannot express it. The eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing. That which has been is what will be, that which is done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which it may be said, “ See, this is new”? It has already been in ancient times before us.
Ecc. 1:8-10

I am no inventor so perhaps it's different,  but for me creating isn't about making something new or flashy, or even attractive [though I hope it is], it's all about getting a little bit of me outside of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment